Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Sweet Surrender

A few months back I was watching the Food Networks' Best Thing I Ever Ate where Giada De Laurentiis mentioned a small dessert shop called Sweet Surrender in Bakersfield.  Of course, my ears perked up when I heard Bakersfield!  I couldn't believe it! Since My Love moved here I have been looking for places to check out around the area, and since I will be making the move in the near future for Grad School I am determined to find some good spots in Bako.  So when a fellow sweets lover came to Bako to visit, I casually mentioned cupcakes, cookies, cakes and with smiles on our faces we made our way to Sweet Surrender.  Upon arriving, it was a little difficult to find because it's hidden behind a hardware store, but good thing we were patient.  Sweet Surrender is a cute little shop filled with candy, cookies, cakes, cupcakes, shoes and small girlie decorations.  It was definitely an experience and we spent a good 30 minutes in the shop trying to figure out what we were willing to pay for (everything looked too good!)  I finally decided on the following: Matterhorn Cupcake, slice of Red Velvet Cake and White Chocolate Bread Pudding with Carmel Sauce topping.  Below are the photos and my thoughts.  :)

Matterhorn Cupcake: the cupcake version of the Matterhorn Cake that Giada featured on the show.  I had read several reviews on Yelp about this cupcake mentioning it was dry or not as good, but I wanted to try it myself.  Well.... it really was just o.k. unfortunately it didn't live up to my expectations.  Hopefully the cake version is a lot better.  
Red Velvet Cake: SO YUMMMMMMMERS! It was moist , fluffy and wasn't overpowered by the cream cheese frosting. I thought this was great and wouldn't mind ordering a whole Red Velvet Cake in the near future.
White Chocolate Bread Pudding with Carmel Sauce topping: it wasn't the most visually appealing dessert at Sweet Surrender but they had samples out and I couldn't say no to a free sample! Once I took a bite, I knew... I HAD TO HAVE ONE.  This is a pretty dense dessert and can be overpowering at times, so it is best to be shared or eaten in small doses.  I got this dessert for My Love.  I knew he would go bananas for it.  When I gave it to him after dinner, he had reservations about it and even made fun of how ugly it looked.  Once he took a bite... he quickly stopped taking and continued to devour the bread pudding in the corner of the room so he didn't have to share with anyone.  That just shows ya, don't judge a book by it's cover... or in this case.. don't judge a dessert by the way it looks! There might be something beautifully delicious inside for you! If you are ever in Bako and stop by Sweet Surrender... GET THE BREAD PUDDING.. you won't regret it! 




1 comment: