Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Daikokuya Hacienda Heights

For a few years now I have heard rave reviews about this small ramen shop.  I remember reading through Tone's Maxim Magazine and it was voted the best ramen house in LA (wow what a huge statement!) Even a client of mine said I had to experience this scrumptious ramen house for myself.  So after years of waiting, I found myself having dinner here with my sorority family.  I didn't know what to expect, and I definitely didn't want the hype to ruin my experience, so I tried to kept an open mind.  Unfortunately, Daikokuya fell short for me.  I thought the ramen was mediocre, but  it wasn't fair that the side dishes stole the show.  I wouldn't mind going back again, but it wouldn't be my first choice.  
If you order a combo (half sized ramen and rice bowl) you get a small salad of shredded cabbage and a mayo based dressing 
House-made Gyoza topped with scallions and served with a light soy sauce.  I loved the crispy sides and pork filling inside. 
This Pork Fried Rice was by far one of the most flavorful and tastiest fried rice I have had in a very long time.  In all honestly, I liked this fried rice more than my ramen and I wasn't the only one that felt this way! 
Pork based ramen, Daikokuya's specialty, it was definitely tasty, but I have had better.  I did fall in love with the soft boiled egg, the yolk was half boiled and a bit runny.. the BEST part of the ramen in my opinion.  



No comments:

Post a Comment