Thursday, September 9, 2010

Labor Day Goodies

Labor Day... A day to celebrate the end of Summer, to rest and to eat some good food.  Going into the weekend, I wasn't really sure on what I wanted to make.   My sister and I (my cooking partner in crime) were discussing the possible menu choices.. We needed 2 days worth of dinner menus for our family... We finally came up with a few ideas and went from there.

Sunday dinner- I wanted to keep it light and yummy, so I decided on Tilapia fish with assorted veggies and a potato gratin.  I had never made my own potato gratin before, but I felt it was easy enough.  So I just thought about the basic components: potatoes, cheese, milk/cream, salt and pepper and I went from there.  Overall, I was happy with the results of both dishes.

Potato Gratin consisted of Yukon Golds, Blue and Red Potatoes, a blend of Cheddar and Parmesan cheeses, milk and cream, scallions, and a bit of salt and pepper.     
Close up of the Potato Gratin
I originally wanted to wrap up each fish portion in parchment paper, but I ran out, so I used tin foil instead.  It did the trick and the Tilapia with Cajun spices sitting atop a bed of crimini mushrooms and green beans was amazing.  Will definitely make this again!

On Monday, Labor Day, we thought to celebrate with a few sliders and in honor of the LA County Fair that is currently in Pomona for a few weeks, homemade Funnel Cakes.  Best way to celebrate a day of relaxation.
Yummy goodness waiting for us to devour! 
Slider topped with pepper jack cheese, tomato, and bacon 
slider with swiss cheese, herb salad and tomato
Homemade Funnel Cake with powered sugar, homemade strawberry topping and whipped cream!
To share some sad news, on Sunday we found out that our dear dog Ears had passed away.  I've been looking through all his photos, and I just wanted to share them with you all.  





No comments:

Post a Comment