Monday, August 23, 2010

Summer Nights and Shabu with Friends


A heat wave has officially hit southern California and I am officially dying from this weather!  I love so. cal, but this heat needs to vamoose pronto.  Even though the weather has been horrible, my girls and I made plans to get together and have a Shabu Shabu/Hot Pot night.  For those who aren't familiar with Shabu, it is a meal that consists of a burner in the middle of the table with a steamy hot pot of broth to cook thinly sliced meats, various veggies, and noodles, served with dipping sauces.  It is my one of my comfort foods.  I have fond memories of shabu/hot pot nights growing up, and I am literally drooling just thinking of it.  

Our pot is ready!
Our fixin's: sliced beef, baby corn, bok choy, spinach, Udon and Rice noodles, baby carrots and tofu, all dipped in Ponzu sauce with green onions.  
It all went down smoothly with this Lychee Sake! After a long day at work, sometimes we just need a little shot of Sake. 
On a side note: One way to cool off in this summer heat, is eating a bowl of Taiwanese Shaved Ice.
Taiwanese Shaved Ice courtesy of SinBala in Arcadia.  Contents include: coconut jelly, red bean, rice balls topped with shaved ice, condensed milk, and brown sugar and coffee syrup.   

No comments:

Post a Comment