Sunday, July 18, 2010

Orochon Ramen

I discovered Orochon Ramen in Little Toyko about 3 years ago.  Tone introduced me to the place during the beginning stages of our relationship, when he was still trying to win me over.  Well, it worked and 3 years later I am still madly in love with Tone....and Orochon Ramen... It is one of my favorite places to go and get a big bowl of ramen.  I have been to a few ramen joints such as Shin Sin Gumi, Naga Naga, Ajisen Ramen all in the SGV, but nothing has come close to Orochon Ramen. 

It was featured on Man vs. Food a while back, and the host decided he would take on the Special 2 challenge.  The Special 2 ramen has the basic elements of a ramen noodle soup: pork and miso broth base, various slices of pork, green onions, and of course, ramen noodles.  But what makes the Special 2...well....special is that it is kicked up using various chili peppers, chili oil and a secret spice blend.  Also, the challenger must eat the entire bowl of ramen within 30 minutes in order to be featured on the Wall of Fame.  I know my body cannot take on the Special 2 challenge, but it's fun watching others do it.  I usually get the Miso based ramen, with one additional pork slice (cha su) and one soft boiled egg.  It is a must if you haven't tried it already!

yumm!
Must have a refreshing drink while eating your ramen
Cold Tofu to go with hot and spicy ramen.. really helps to cleanse and cool down your palette 
Miso Ramen with 2 pork slices (cha su) and 2 eggs

No comments:

Post a Comment