Monday, May 31, 2010

Smoky inspirations

In honor of Memorial Day I decided to smoke some yummy meats today for Sunday's dinner.  I was inspired earlier this week from reading my friend's blog.( Check out the yummy smoked chicken! ) She had this amazing photo of the smoked chicken her husband made.  A few months back, my brother bought an electric smoker and it has been a godsend for us.  Before using the smoker, we always add some type of soaked wood chips.  Today we decided on Hickory.  I had never smoked a chicken before, so I was a bit nervous, but with encouragement and a little bit of help, I was able to make some very yummy smoked BBQ chicken.  I also threw some baby back ribs into the smoker as well. Didn't want to waste the space in the smoker!

The chicken was rubbed with either jerk or chipotle seasonings then basted with BBQ sauce.  The chicken came out amazing! I was very surprised and proud.  I am already thinking of how I can improve it.  Next time, I will definitely soak the chicken in a brine before smoking to give it that something extra. 

BBQ pork ribs rubbed with a mixture of garlic and onion powder, cayenne, paprika basted with BBQ sauce.  Smoked for 2.5 hours.  I came out pretty yummy, but next time I want to cook it low and slow.  Maybe I can save it for a day that isn't filled with too many errands to run or things to do. 

Roasted garlic and rosemary red potatoes.  Yummy!

GG!

No comments:

Post a Comment